Monday, August 08, 2011

Green, Part 2

Well, we have come full-circle.  I'm back in the States, recovering from some pretty extreme allergy symptoms.  Once the mold, or trees, or grass, or dust (I still don't know which) started to affect my breathing and my throat, I knew it was best for my health to leave Vara Blanca.

Flying home, I had time to stop in the airport for a huge salad -- which was also much needed.  As I practically inhaled my food, I realized the only green things I had eaten during my month in Costa Rica were a bowl of green beans and 2 avocados.  I'm definitely used to eating so much more than that!

Being here for just a few days now, I'm definitely glad to be home.  I can finally breathe through my nose, for the first time in weeks!  And, the rest of my body seems to be returning to normal function and, perhaps most importantly, my energy is back!

I'm also really glad I went.  I never would have gained the perspective I have now without going to Costa Rica in the first place, even if my trip was cut down to just 4 weeks. 
I'm so glad I saw the school, met the kids who were so glad to be able to attend high school, and learned about the development model that ADE uses.  The dedication of its founders and staff and the daily lifestyle of the community would have been impossible for me to understand from a distance.  I'm so impressed by how hard the staff works and how persevering they are, in spite of the fact that their model (not accepting outside funding, not doing anything without the inspiration and partnership of members of the community) is both tedious and slow in practice.  It seems to be just about as organic as 'development' can be.
The ADE school - classes are held on the patio and at each end of the large hall inside.

ADE staff and middle/high school students
And, the luckiest part is that I'm still working for ADE - from here in the States.  One of their main goals is to start student exchanges, so that their students can come to the United States to learn English and gain a year of US high schooling and so that American students can head down for a really diverse and rich cultural experience in the heart of the rainforest.  So, what I'm working on now is building this program, finding host families and schools here, working on costs and visa processes.

I'm really happy I can still work for this organization and help develop programs for the students...and, at the same time, that I'm finally feeling healthy again!

No comments:

Post a Comment